Sunday, March 8, 2015

My 2015 Challenge List

I love lists. Like really really love. A few weeks ago I caught up with an old friend I haven't seen in four years, and one of his first comments was, "You always did love a good list". It's pretty much woven into the fabric of my identity.

So when January 2015 rolled around and we prepared for Fionn's departure, I sat down to my trusty notebook and made a list of all the things I wanted to accomplish in 2015, both as something to do while he was gone and also as a way to make the most of the latter half of my twenties. Y'know, kick the bad habits, do the things I keep saying I want to do, and just do life better. 

The last year, with all the moving and surprises and stress left me feeling a bit discombobulated, like I'd lost sight of myself during all the ups and downs. I kept waiting for the hurricanes of change to pass over our house and now that the winds had died down, I wanted to peep out from underneath the storm shutters and take stock. What needed to change? What did I need to let go of? How could I turn something scary like moving and a deployment into an opportunity to grow?

Blooming in the desert

I wrote this list, and the day Fionn left I stuck it up on the fridge, along with some questions to ask myself throughout this year. I love a good challenge, so it's been really fun pushing myself to achieve things on the list, not to mention it's a good distraction for me while Fionn's away.

As the year goes on I'll try to blog about my progress as I work through my 2015 Challenge List. Some things are easy and other things were "dream big!" ideas, but I hope this list will help me to be a happier, healthier version of me by the end of the year.

1. Do something active 3x a week
2. Take Spanish classes, improve conversational skills
3. Take a guitar class and learn to play a song
4. Take harp lessons and improve harp playing
5. Visit the Grand Canyon
6. Visit Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon
7. Take a makeup class and learn to do your makeup! 
8. Finish paralegal certificate
9. Visit Germany
10. Go to Hawaii
11. Read the Bible every day
12. Read 20 books this year
13. Limit Facebook/internet time wasting, do something creative/productive instead
14. Go to Swannanoa and/or a Fleadh
15. Organize clutter and donate things we don't need
16. Finish wedding album
17. Take a dancing class
18. Learn to use new camera
19. Visit local famous attractions
20. Volunteer my time somewhere
21. Travel to a new country
22. Update the blog's look!
23. Go to friends' out of town weddings
24. Save money
25. Take a cooking class
26. Take care of my emotional health
27. Learn to make something Tex-Mex or Mexican (tamales, tortillas, salsa, anything)

If you have any other ideas for things to add, I'm all ears!

3 comments :

  1. 28. Hike a section of the Appalachian Trail ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes! I'm not sure I'll be able to keep pace with you and the Adventure pup!

      Delete
  2. I like the sound of "visit Germany", and you have quite some adventurous ideas there... Fortunately you still have 10 months :)

    ReplyDelete